Just a quick trip across the Casco Bay Bridge from Downtown Portland, you will find South Portland, a community that offers the best of both worlds: highly‑rated restaurants with ocean‑front dining, along with Maine beaches right in your backyard.
South Portland is split pretty distinctly into two halves: the western half and eastern half. The western half of the city hosts commercial, industrial, and advanced technology property. The largest shopping mall in the state is nearby, as are plenty of hotels and restaurants. On the eastern half, where you’ll find beaches, parks, marinas, and the second busiest oil port on the entire East Coast.
The eastern half boasts Fort Preble, Spring Point Ledge Lighthouse, and Bug Light ‑ picturesque destinations on the water with plenty of outdoor green space. Connected to these landmarks by the South Portland Greenbelt path is Willard Beach ‑ a popular destination for locals in the summertime, known for its brisk water temperatures, passing cruise ships, and views of the harbor islands of Casco Bay and Downtown Portland. South Portland is also less than 10‑minute drive to Fort Williams Park, home to the iconic Portland Headlight.
The eastern half is also home to Knightville, South Portland’s “Downtown” spot. Grab a beer at Foulmouthed Brewery or local haunt The Snow Squall, take a spin class or aerial yoga at Tula, and grab locally sourced meats and a bottle of wine at The Farm Stand. If you’re down near Willard Beach, you have to grab a dozen of Scratch Baking Co.’s famous sourdough bagels or a cone filled with Willard Scoop’s homemade ice cream.
Enjoy the very best a small urban coastal community has to offer!
- Independent ‑ authentic – vibrant ‑ eclectic
- A real community with a genuine sense of being and belonging
- Variety of incomes, backgrounds live here – a true mix of real people
- Pet‑friendly, people‑friendly, Buy‑Local friendly
- Livable with restaurants, coffee shops, grocers, bakeries, breweries…
- Mix of architecture: some historic, wood‑framed buildings and some new, very modern
- Very Bikeable – mostly flat, good bike lanes, safe bike lane across Casco Bay Bridge into Portland.